The transfer window is open, and Transfer Talk has the latest rumours making the rounds. Follow along with our daily blog throughout the summer.
Chelsea make Pickford No. 1 choice to replace Courtois
With Thibaut Courtois expected to join Real Madrid this summer, Chelsea have identified Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford as their primary target to replace the Belgian, according to Sky Sports News.
Courtois has less than 12 months remaining on his contract, and has frequently hinted at a return to Madrid – where he spent three seasons on loan at Atletico — to be nearer his two children, leaving Chelsea scrambling for a new No. 1.
Pickford joined Everton just last summer, in a £30 million deal from Sunderland, so the Toffees are expected to resist any approach for the 24-year-old. He was named Everton’s player of the year last term, and stood out amid England’s surprise run to the World Cup semifinals.
Kasper Schmeichel and Jack Butland have also been suggested as possible alternatives to take over between the posts at Stamford Bridge, but Sky reports that Pickford is the preferred choice in West London.
Sarri to use captaincy to get Hazard to stay
New Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri is desperate to get playmaker Eden Hazard to stay on at Stamford Bridge amid reports he is a target for Real Madrid. How desperate? Well he’s reportedly ready to offer him the captain’s armband as reward for remaining with the club, says the Express.
And if that’s not enough, the Mail says Chelsea will play hardball with the back-to-back-to-back Champions League winners and insist they pay £200m to bring him to the Bernabeu.
The outlet says that, although Hazard isn’t pushing for an exit, “there is growing concern that the Belgian will not extend his contract at Stamford Bridge” with talks having hit an impasse over a new deal that would pay the 27-year-old £300,000-a-week.
Transfer news must-reads
– Transfer Talk LIVE: The very latest transfer rumours
– Klopp: Alisson was cheaper than Oblak
– Arsenal sell Reine-Adelaide to Angers
– Roma want Messi to make up for Malcolm
– Erikssen considers Iraq job
– Done deals
Fulham in pole position to land Mawson
Fulham lead the chase to sign Swansea defender Alfie Mawson, the Mail reports.
The 24-year-old was one of the few bright spots of an otherwise disastrous 2017-18 that saw the Welsh club relegated from the Premier League. And now the Swans are prepared to cash in as they descend into the Championship, informing the Cottagers that they’ll have to pay £25m for the centre-back.
Burnley and West Ham also are said to be interested in Mawson, but the report states that Fulham are the only outfit to have held talks with the Welsh side over his transfer.
– The Guardian writes that Crystal Palace have registered their interest in Danny Ings who’s reportedly decided to leave Liverpool in search of first-team football, joining the likes of Leicester, Newcastle and Southampton in the race for the 26-year-old’s signature.
– Marcos Rojo is heading to Manchester rather than joining United’s tour in the U.S. as he looks to sort out his future, sources have told ESPN FC, while defender Cameron Borthwick-Jackson is poised to join Scunthorpe on loan.
– Dutch midfielder Davy Klaassen has joined Werder Bremen after spending just a year at Premier League side Everton, both clubs announced on Friday.
The 25-year-old, a former captain at Dutch side Ajax, moved to Everton before the start of last season but failed to establish himself, making just 16 appearances across all competitions.